I wouldn’t categorize my son as colicky buy there are times when no amount of trying, makes him stop crying. This inconsolable crying that is intense and lasts for some time is the condition called Colic. This is a common condition and can start from as early as 2 weeks and last until 6th month. In my son, I noticed this from 3.5 months onwards. He is 5 months old now.
Some symptoms :
● Crying starts just like that without any particular reason
● No amount of trying helps
● Baby passes more gas
● His little tummy seems swollen
● He furrows his brows with the intensity of crying
● He brings up his legs towards his stomach and clenches stomach muscles
There is no particular cure for Colic. Only passing of time and some medicines will help relieve the baby. Here are the medicines that I use for him, so that he feels relieved from the gas build up in his stomach :
● Gripe water – This is a very popular product that is given to such babies. I bought one too. It was an over-the-counter purchase and not with a prescription from the doctor. It’s by the brand Woodward’s, which is popular where I live. It’s a gentle antacid and helps to calm down any acid reflux that happens in the baby. It is colorless and has a soothing taste. Price : Rs 40 (Approx AED 2.19) for a 130 ml bottle.
● Colicaid Drops – This is made to deal with Infant Colic, Griping Pain & Flatulence. It’s a thick, white product. It contains Dill oil, Fennel oil and Simethicone, which is an active ingredient that helps relieve colic. Price : Rs 66 (Approx AED 3.61) for a 30 ml bottle.
● Colicaid EZ– Produced by the same company that produces Colicaid Drops, this one is slightly different. The ‘EZ’ in the name stands for Enzyme. This works better than the previous one. It contains Diastase, Pepsin and Simethicone. It’s made to relieve Indigestion, Flatulence & Infant Colic. It’s brown in color, thick in consistency and has a very strong taste. Price : Rs 60.50 (Approx AED 3.31) for a 15 ml bottle.
● Colicarmin – This is my favorite one because it seems to give instant relief to him. It’s an orange / red colored product. It’s a completely herbal product with Soya, Cardamom, Hing & Sanchal in it. This is a product I highly recommend. Price : Rs 40 (Approx AED 2.19) for a 30 ml bottle.
● Babylac powder – Introducing probiotics into your child’s body is a great way to combat indigestion, which inevitably leads to more gas production. The Lactic Acid Bacillus in this product creates healthy bacteria in your baby’s intestine. It’s a white colored powder, that should be diluted in water or milk. Price : Rs 73.70 (Approx AED 4.04) for a 30 gms container.
Other things that help :
● Putting baby in a prone position helps him to expel gas and be relieved.
● Holding him in an upright position while feeding helps him to swallow less air, thus creating less gas inside him.
● While preparing formula milk, don’t make it immediately before feeding, since you will be shaking the bottle during prep, which creates air bubbles in the milk. Let it settle for couple of minutes and then only offer it to your baby.
Hope this post helps you out in some way or the other. It’s not a comprehensive guide on colic yet these are things that have worked for me. All medicines mentioned above, except Gripe Water were bought after my doc prescribed it for him. Everything was purchased from India. If you would like to buy gripe water or other popular, over-the-counter colic products that doesn’t need a doctor’s prescription, check out this US based site that ships worldwide.
The above is a post I wrote for City Times magazine, back in April. To read the post there, click here