Winter can be a season that is harsh on the skin. This is especially true for those who live in climates that get snow or colder temperatures. Unless you plan to move to a warm climate, there’s not much you can do to change the fact that winter is going to come your way. The good news is that there are some things you can do to help protect your skin all winter long. Yes, you can have beautiful skin all winter, and head right back into summer with a glow that will leave others envious!
When winter arrives, we tend to change up our routines a bit. There are people who don’t exercise as much, others who spend more time snuggled up on the couch watching the television, and others who completely change their diets. While you are reaching for more comfort foods this winter season, be sure to keep a healthy skincare routine on your mind.
Here are 6 wonderful winter skincare tips you will want to keep in mind when it starts getting colder outside:
• Don’t over bathe. It can be tempting to take long, hot showers, especially during the winter months. But did you realize that doing so can help dry your skin out? It’s true! Showering and bathing can strip your skin of natural oils, leading it to become dry, cracked, and itchy. You can help avoid this by keeping showers to no more than around five minutes.
• Moisturize daily. It’s imperative that you keep a good quality daily moisturizer on hand so that you can use it every time you get out of the shower. Pat your skin dry, don’t rub it or you can damage it, and then apply moisturizer to help keep it soft, supple, and smooth. Make moisturizing your skin a daily habit and you will see the benefits that it provides.
• Stay hydrated. People often drink plenty of water in the summer, but they cut back when it’s colder outside. You may need more water in the summer if you are active with sports and such, but you still need to stay well hydrated in the winter, too. Be sure to get plenty of fluids in you. If you are not partial to drinking much water, opt for drinking things like unsweet tea and green tea.
• Treat the acne. Winter is a great time to take the time to address problems you may be having with your skin. If you have acne, find a product that will address it once and for all. While you are hiding away this winter, get the acne cleared up, so you emerge feeling and looking your best. You can learn more in Facingacne.com about how to take care of your skin condition.
• Cover your skin. If you live where there are harsh winter conditions, it is important to keep your skin covered when you go outside. The dry air can damage your skin. Some people find that the exposed skin becomes so damaged in winter that it’s flaky, dry, itchy, and may even have bleeding. You can avoid all that by making sure you keep it covered when you go outside. Also, don’t forget to use a good lip balm to keep your lips from chapping.
• Humidify your house. Winter is often a time when houses become dry inside. If the air in your home is too dry, it will lead your skin to become dry. Ever take your sock off in the winter and see lots of skin flake off from your leg? You know when you see that it’s time to moisturize and humidify. You can pick up an affordable humidifier at the department store and keep it running during the season.
Winter is also a time that you want to make sure you get enough sleep. Continue with the good sleep habits that you have always had, or should have, so that you can wake up feeling and looking your best each day. Healthy skin requires sleep, a good diet, plenty of hydration, and care from the elements. Keep these things in mind throughout the winter and beyond!