Friends and followers equally loved and supported when I published my night time and day time skincare routines. So, I thought, why not do a bathtime / body care routine post and also show you the products I use!. It’s absolutely important to take care of your skin. This particular routine is not specific to winter. It’s the same all year round. I have normal skin by the way, which leans towards dry in winter.
My routine is split into two : One routine is for 5 days a week and the other is for 2 days a week. The key to the entire routine is ‘exfoliation’. Gentle exfoliation and conditioning for five days and intense exfoliation for two.
Five day routine
I dry brush my body using a dry body brush before stepping into the shower. Since I have started dry body brushing, I have noticed a huge difference in my skin. It exfoliates dead skin cells away and increases blood circulation thus revealing glowing new skin. It’s really up to you how many days you wish to do it. I think five is perfect. I bought this Merben International dry body brush from Amazon for $26.46 (AED 97.19).
Once in shower, I use shower gels / shower creams. I love them more than bar soaps. I use a shower puff to help exfoliate. Both dry brushing and using the shower puff are gentle forms of exfoliation and thus doing them on the same day, does not aggravate your skin in any way. I use a selection of different products, just to keep it interesting. Here are some of the shower gels I use / finished using recently :
- Nivea Powerfruit Relax shower gel – I quite like this range of Nivea’s shower gel. This particular one has Acai Berry scent and blueberry antioxidants in it. It smells like a berry juice. It is purple in color. Price : AED 12.70 for 250ml.
- Nivea Water Lily & oil shower gel – This one is light pink in color and has yellow colored micro beads suspended in it. It’s pretty to see. The micro beads are oil pearls. It’s scent is that of water lily which is a very pleasant and feminine smell. Price : AED 12.70 for 250ml.
- Dove Deeply Nourishing shower cream – This is my absolute favorite one. I already have a back up of this ready to use. It’s creamy and absolutely nourishing. It’s scent is refreshing and uplifting. I highly recommend you try it out. Price : AED 16.75 for 250ml.
- Sebamed Olive Face & Body Wash – This is very gentle and mild, being soap and alkali free. It can be used on your face too. It is so gentle and chemical free that it can be used for bathing babies and by those with sensitive skin. It has a light scent and is cream in color. Price : AED 31.50 for 400ml.
- The Face Shop Green Tea mild body wash – This is a an antioxidant rich body wash with Korean green tea and olive oil in it. It is gentle and great for the skin. Price : AED 40 for 300ml.
- Shower puff – I got mine from The Face Shop. It’s really great. You can buy shower puffs from even local supermarkets for really cheap prices. However, I suggest you buy from a store like this one. It lasts for a longer time and is tightly woven together. I hang mine in the bathroom so that it dries well after every use. Price : AED 15.
After that I wash off the shower gel and apply a generous amount of Nivea In Shower Body lotion. This eliminates the need for applying a body lotion once I step out of the bathroom. The best time to apply body lotion is right after your shower, when your skin is in the most recipient state. Price of this body lotion is AED 19.25 for 400ml. After that, I just wash it off, dry my skin and step out of the shower.
Two day routine
On Mondays and Thursdays, the same days that I use scrub on my face too, I scrub my body. I start with the Tree Hut’s Shea Sugar Scrub, which I bought from Amazon, paying $17.94 (AED 65.89) for three tubs, each containing 510 gms. It is an excellent scrub. I am using my second tub right now. I personally think sugar scrubs are much better than salt scrubs. But if salt scrubs are your thing, I would suggest using a scrub with Himalayan salt in it. It’s great for the skin.
Using a scrub really makes your skin so soft and glowing. I always scrub in an upward direction to stimulate blood flow. It’s the same concept of doing dry body brushing. Once I wash it off, I apply a body mask. I am currently using Izil’s Re-Mineralizing body mask, which costs AED 95 for a tub containing 150 gms. This mask really hydrates the body and the scent of Damask roses is amazing. Then I wash it off after 10 minutes. After this, sometimes I use a bar soap or on some lazy days, I just wash off the mask and step out of the shower. If I do use a soap, my current favorites are:
- Dove – My favorite soap ever!. It feels so gentle on the skin and makes your skin supple and soft. I also like a variant of Dove which has Shea butter in it, but I didn’t have it on me to click a pic of. Price : AED 4.75 for 100gms
- Lux Silk Sensation, which has olive oil in it and Lux Secret Bliss, which has Egyptian Violet & Elemi oil in it. I love the scent of this one. Price : AED 4 for 170 gms
After stepping out of the shower, I use one of the body lotions / body creams that I have. I have many at any given time, because I believe moisturization is key and love to try out different brands/products. Here are the ones I currently use / are recent empties :
- The Face Shop Green Tea body lotion – A really gentle and pleasant smelling lotion. It’s perfect for those with sensitive skin too. It has Korean green tea and olive oil just like the body wash from the same range. Price : AED 50 for 300ml.
- Vaseline lotions – I like lotions from Vaseline and recently reviewed four of them. They are easy to work with and has a great fast absorbing consistency. Price : Between AED 11.95 – AED 13.50 for 200ml
- Avocado oil – Especially during winter, our skin tends to like oil more than body lotions since it’s more nourishing. Avocado oil in particular is extremely hydrating. It’s one of my favorite oils. I bought this Now Foods avocado oil from online for $5.34 (AED 19.61) for 118ml.
- The Body Shop Shea beautifying oil – Frankly, I am not a fan of it. But I am using it, so that I can finish it off, since I hate wastage of anything plus it’s smell is nice. Price : AED 65 for 100ml.
- Victoria’s Secret Pure Seduction body lotion – Where do I start on this!. The smell of it is absolutely heavenly and sensuous. It’s intensely hydrating. It has Aloe, Oats, Grapeseed extracts and Vitamins E and C in it. It’s easily one of my absolute favorites of my entire life. Thanks to Sally for gifting this to me ♥. Price : AED 56 for 250 ml.
- Stress relief Aromatherapy body lotion from Bath & Body Works : This lotion has Eucalyptus and Spearmint essential oils in it that makes it soothing and uplifting. It is of a thin consistency and gets easily absorbed into the skin. I don’t suggest you use this one if you have sensitive / extremely dry skin. It could irritate your skin. I quite like it though. It’s bottle is made of glass and is gorgeous and classy. Price : AED 45 for 192 ml. It’s priced the same all throughout the year and never featured in their sales.
- Dove Essential Nourishment & Dove Purely pampering body creams : I got the purely pampering one with Shea butter in it, in a Glambox. The other one, which is the original one, I had bought from Lulu Centre. These are nourishing but with the original one, though it gets absorbed super fast and feels nourishing in the beginning, it tends to leave your skin feeling a tad dry like 5 mins later. I don’t know why that happens. It is especially so in winter. I don’t highly recommend these but you might still try it since it might perform differently on your skin!. Price : AED 12.75 for 150ml.
- Jergens Soothing Aloe body moisturizer : This is another one of my absolute favorites. It’s scent is so calming and beautiful. It’s perfect for sensitive skin. It is non – sticky and comforting. I highly recommend you try this out. Price : AED 17.65 for 400ml. More often times than not, this one is featured in an offer whereby you get 20% off when you buy two or buy two and get one free. I stock up on one of these sales. I have never bought just a single piece of it. Those sales are happening almost throughout the year!. So, look out for that and do give this a try.
- Dove Essential Nourishment body lotion – This lotion is so nourishing, perfect for winter. It’s fast absorbing and really hydrating. The effect of it seems to last a long while. My skin feels really soft while using it. I will be buying this again when it gets over. I definitely recommend you check it out too. Price : AED 15.95 for 250ml.
So that’s my two day routine. During daytime, I like using these body lotions or the in shower body lotion. However, during night, just before heading to bed, I believe in heavy moisturizing and that’s why I like to use body butters / heavy body creams. Also, during the day I like to use the same body lotion on my hands and feet however during night I like to use specific creams for hands and feet. Here they are:
Night time routine
- Figs & Rouge Cherry Blossom hand cream – This one smells amazing and is intensely hydrating. LOVE it!. Price : AED 45 for a tube containing 80ml.
- Caudalie Hands & Nail cream – I got this sample from a Glambox. It’s 15 ml. It’s nourishing and is antioxidant rich. It smells like grapefruits / citrusy. Price : AED 90 for 75ml (full sized version).
For feet :
- Herbline Essentials Foot cream : It’s the most phenomenal foot cream I have ever used. It brings a long lasting effect. Price : AED 52 for a 150 ml tube.
- Krack Heel Repair cream : This is an Ayurvedic cream and it’s an Indian brand. This one is OK. I kept using it until I came across the Herbline Essentials foot cream. I kind of got hooked on to it then!. But, I really want to finish off this Krack cream. I reach for it sometimes. This cream is a muddy brown, has a unique herbal scent to it and absorbs into the skin fast. Price : AED 9.95 for 50 gms.
For body :
- Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime Breeze body butter : This one is intensely nourishing and has such a bouncy soft texture. Once again, I don’t recommend you buy any B & BWs creams/body butters if you have sensitive / extremely dry skin. I bought this in the last B & BW sale. Sale price : AED 30 for 200gms.
- Maui Hibiscus Beach Triple Moisture Body cream : I quite love this heavy body cream. It smells amazing and is very nourishing. I bought this in the same B & BW sale I just mentioned. Sale price : AED 30 for 226 gms.
- The Body Shop Chocomania body butter : I love this one’s chocolate like smell. I reviewed a bigger tub back in 2012. But the one now (my third tub) is a 50ml one. Price : AED 25
Heavily moisturizing at night means you wake up with soft and hydrated skin. I would also like to suggest you try out a Moroccan Bath once. I have tried it twice at spas and you will leave that place feeling extremely soft. If you follow this routine, not necessarily with so many products, I guarantee you that you will have the softest skin ever and can get rid of body acne forever!
I hope the sheer length of this post, does not confuse you. If you need any clarifications, I am happy to help. Do leave a comment below and let me know if you love the same products as I do or any suggestions of new brands that are your favorites and you would like me to try out!