Please read on to find out some skin care tips for cold weather as recommended by Dr Lillian Khan, Dermatologist & Pond’s Arabia Brand Expert.
The winter breeze is here, and soon we will be changing and rearranging our wardrobe to warmer clothes and colors. This extends to our dressing table and beauty cabinet. There are things that will be pushed to the back of the cabinet and products that will be pushed forward. Let’s take a journey through your skin care routine for this season!
Pay attention to your face and neck cleansing routine:
– You will notice that your skin will need to change cleansers when the winter air starts blowing in. During the summer, skin becomes more oily with the heat and humidity, but in winter that’s not the case. Choose a mild non-irritating cleanser, and be sure it doesn’t contain any harsh ingredients. One of my favorite is Pond’s Gold Radiance Foam cleanser. For dry skin types, you will need a milk or a lotion base moisturizing cleanser. All skin types should still exfoliate gently once a week to remove debris, clogged pores, and dry flaky skin.
You will need your moisturizer:
– All skin types in winter will need some sort of moisturizing fluid, lotion, or cream – even acne prone skin. Read labels carefully and choose the product that is specific to your skin type and problem. So, if you suffering from acne, choose a hydrating lotion that is specific for acne prone skin, and that is labeled non comedogenic. If you have dry eczema prone skin, choose a hypo allergic non irritating moisturizer.
Sunscreens and BB creams:
– Just because you feel the cool winter air it doesn’t mean that the sun isn’t shining along with its harmful rays. A broad spectrum sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB with the recommended SPF 30 and above is still mandatory. You can use the Pond’s Flawless White BB+ Cream with its GenActiv formula that brightens your natural skin tone. It’s active ingredients works on your skin tone, and provides both coverage and sunscreen all in one to give flawless looking skin immediately and which works on your natural glow.
Use Milk and lactic acids for softer skin:
– It was said that Cleopatra used to bath in milk which has kept her skin soft and smooth. That’s not far from scientific truth as milk contains lactic acid. This ingredient is used in body moisturizers to help remove dry flaky skin. Look for those in moisturizers; apply it twice daily to rough dry skin to get smoother hydrated healthy looking body skin.
Don’t forget to exfoliate:
– There is a nice honey and sugar body at-home-remedy that I like to make and use myself. Honey acts as a humectant and reduces inflammation and sugar when massaged on the skin increases circulation and acts as a mild exfoliant. Use this mixture once per week to elbows and knees and you will notice those areas becoming softer and brighter with regular use.
Shower oils and lotions:
– I’ve become a big fan of prescribing shower oil cleansers to my patients who complain of dry flaky irritated skin. Many of us have busy lives and this has reduced the need to use a moisturizer right after showering and bathing. Another option is to find good moisturizing shower cleansing lotions such a Dove Deeply Nourishing Body Wash.
10 minutes showers and bath:
-Feeling cold makes us want to take longer hot showers and baths to relax and warm up. But the longer you shower or bath, the dryer the skin becomes. Limit your bath and shower to not more that 10 minutes and make sure the last rinse is with slightly colder temperature water.
No matter what the season is, you should always visit your dermatologist and catch up. With seasonal changes it might be best to give a visit to your dermatologist to make sure you enjoy the holiday season as much as you can!
I thank Dr. Lilian for sharing these very useful tips which is perfect for the current weather in UAE, with all my readers.